Monday, April 18, 2022

We Want to Harness Moonlight,

 


Chasing the moon by Catrin Welz-Stein….Surreal Art & Graphic Design. 

The earth is sliced into furrows that seeds may burst with life; even thus with our wounds.

 ~Henry Stanley Haskins


The laurels and the willows know the strength of a rainy day,

but my heart is still learning.

We want to harness moonlight,

and have the flowers of May always,

but we only truly appreciate the shine of a clear sky

when we have endured all the dreary days.

Life teaches like a professor that will give the lesson harsh yet sure.

It gathers us together the way you would garland upon a tree.

Makes us sit in the church like children to hear the sermon

whether we want to or not.

We will learn one way or the other from the slough or from the river’s harshest flow.

For the laurels and the willows know the strength of a rainy day,

 but my heart is still learning.


Linking with Shay's Word List "A. E. Housman #19" now at the Sunday Muse every 3rd weekend.

Come join us!

14 comments:

  1. "We will learn one way or the other from the slough or from the river’s harshest flow." - Indeed!! Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah so true aren't we all? Still learning.
    Happy Easter Carrie. Thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can visualize tightly wrapping that tree in garland, forced to hear the dreary sermon ... well done, Carrie .. well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the juxtaposition of “harnessing moonlight” and “having flowers.” Both natural beauties can only be blessings if not removed, captured, or possessed. They must just be, unharmed. But yes, yes, yes to year-round May! People are the same, I think—relationally. We must enjoy scents, beauty, essence, light ... without plucking or subduing. Owning. I think that knowledge would make hearts suffer less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh. How I love this. How I LIVE this. Just beautiful, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often wait to visit until everyone here is to bed.
    Today I found out that maybe I can't go away a few days to be with my english friend and the rest of the parachute group. None to bring me there. It seems I will never learn.
    So your poem came at the right time. The last two lines...superb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful expression of the contrast between the beauty of life and the painful journey of living - wonderfully written Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This a wonderful poem and i think we will eventually learn. Yes we all want the flowers of may but, sometimes we are given skies of gray. My heart is continuously learning, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many beautiful images in this, and I love the tone and feeling--simple, direct, innocent yet full of the lessons learned and unlearned that life won't let us leave without hearing. It's up to our hearts to find a way to learn them. Sorry to be so late getting by, dear Carrie--it's been a lot of furrowing and seed sowing here, despite a wicked wind and a long-lasting drought. I hope my seeds, well-tended, will learn to live.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "It gathers us together the way you would garland upon a tree."

    I love this image, Carrie. Wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. เว็บตรง ไม่ผ่านเอเย่น เชื่อถือได้ ปลอดได้ ไม่มีโกงต้องที่นี่ สล็อต ตอบโจทย์ความต้องการได้ดีอย่างมากทั้งเรื่องของการเงินการเดิมพันที่หลากหลาย เพื่อเป็นการยกฐานะการให้บริการให้ดีขึ้นไป

    ReplyDelete
  12. pg-slot.game เว็บ ปั่นสล็อต ออนไลน์ คุณภาพได้เงินจริง 100 % สามารถเล่นได้ตลอด 24 ชั่วโมง เล่นง่าย ได้เงินไว เล่นได้บนมือถือ

    ReplyDelete
  13. slotpg รูปแบบใหม่ต้องใจผู้เล่น เกมคาสิโนออนไลน์ที่เยี่ยมที่สุด บริการครบวงจรในเรื่องความเพลิดเพลินและก็เงินรางวัลหลายชิ้น สล็อตออนไลน์เล่นไม่ยาก ชำระเงินจริงทุกบาททุกเงิน

    ReplyDelete