Saturday, February 12, 2022

The Memory of Sorrows








 

There's nothing in the world that clings
As does a memory that stings...
~Georgia Douglas Camp Johnson

 

 

Everything is fragile

skyscrapers

 bobby pins

an old woman’s hands

Styrofoam cups

the northern spotted owl

a human heart

you see even the moon has craters

being the old woman that I am

I have come to understand and know this

still my mind forgets all the details

but my heart remembers things

the flickering of starlight

the joyful tears of birth

the song they played at my grandfather’s funeral

falls that scrape more than knees

for words crash like waves upon a shore

relentless like a salesman

and serious like a preacher on Sunday

the memory of sorrows

is a child waiting

 promised a day at the county fair

you can bet your bottom dollar

that day will be remembered

in the joy of going and even more so in the not

it is all the things our hands never hold

that seem to leave the heaviest of weights

for a child never forgets

and one day that boy becomes a man

with a heart that still remembers

what a child cannot forget.


Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse #198
Come join us!

14 comments:

  1. Carrie. This ripped at my heart. It hit me in a raw bruised place. I relate painfully. Powerful write my friend!
    “…it is all the things our hands never hold
    that seem to leave the heaviest of weights
    for a child never forgets”

    ReplyDelete
  2. "for words crash like waves upon a shore" - yes ma'am. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a poignant telling, Carrie.
    these lines really get to me:
    "falls that scrape more than knees"
    "it is all the things our hands never hold"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you described the transience of living with such choice images, things that fade and decay, memories that don't. Really beautiful, Carrie. Love the whole of the opening first lines and these:

    "you see even the moon has craters"

    "relentless like a salesman"

    "the memory of sorrows

    is a child waiting..."

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice write, Carrie. Revives memories, childhood ones seem to prevail. Thank you for putting the line, "day that boy becomes a man." I'm thinking most of us will search for their days, it didn't take very long for me.
    But I DO NOT share.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how this moves through events that press themselves through the poem and into the reader. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Carrie, you have gifted us an amazing, deeply moving poem on this fine Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the opening lines, Carrie. Life and all we grasp of it is fragile indeed. The end with the echo of broken promises is like a cold draft that still fans the embers, and we are stung both by hot and cold. Love what you did with the image--which I also love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "for words crash like waves upon a shore".... sometimes barely touching the sand, and eating away the beach, like happened during the storm of last week.
    But they find a place in the heart and even when forgotten, it's know they are there.
    Loved this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deftly said, Carrie. I sometimes wonder what my son remembers in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. This is it exactly. I recall a tear rolling down my son's face, brimming with the words he did not know how to say. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "for words crash like waves upon a shore
    relentless like a salesman
    and serious like a preacher on Sunday"

    Powerful write Carrie

    Have a good Sunday

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This might be my favorite poem of yours that I have read! The images are so well chosen and convey such emotion. I can't pick a favorite line - so many good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The raw emotion in this is like a knife wound.

    I love,

    "falls that scrape more than knees". Brilliant poem, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete