Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Glimmers of the Soul,

 



Linking with Shay's Word Garden Word List # 12 (Richard Brautigan)

 


"My poems are love-drunk letters to the universe". ~Terri Guillemets

 

How many lanterns does it take to light the truest way?

As many as a poem can hold

As many as it takes!

A poem is like candles that can burn no matter how high the wind

It moves and makes the impossible

like Frankenstein and wonder

possible again

for the creation of a poem is like making wool without a spinning wheel

it brings to light beauty from soot and embers

and makes soft what once was hard as steel

poetry is a whisper that can be heard in the loudest place

it is letters that always arrive with no postage ever paid 

we dig into the trenches fierce like lions yet with the ink of grace

searching for a million strangers and yet just one familiar face

for poets and their poetry are explorers of the soul

they reach out toward the farthest mysteries

and yet dig even deep inward for their own

so the question is, how many lanterns does it take to light the truest way?

the answer is, as many as a poem can hold

as many as it takes!


10 comments:

  1. I KNEW as soon as I put it on the list, that you'd go with the lanterns! I KNEW it! :-D A very pretty poem with an exalted view of us ink-stained wretches. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you know me too well Shay. I was doing good to get something out there at all. Wretches?....Noooooooo we are magnificent ponderers! It is the poems that are exalted, not necessarily the poets, although most poets I personally know are pretty awesome! Like one with a word list. :-))

      Delete
    2. Carrie, you worked hard on this poem, I can tell. Hard to put the pieces together to say what you want it to say. I liked your what goes into the structure to make it a Poem, explaining by your (pretty much intro) lines, "creation of a poem ..." is ... Also the "Poetry is" section, with my catching on at 'is' "poetry is a whisper that can be heard in the loudest place..."
      Lanterns? I skimmed over the list and missed that. Not that I'd have used it but I have four lanterns, one we bought for hurricane use, a Coleman kerosene, back in the 1970's, and three little battery LED lamp lights about five years old. We have had them ready but they were not needed. Anyway putting them in a poem would be hard for me. A lamplighter maybe.
      Again, I enjoyed my reads here, thank you.
      ..

      Delete
    3. The LED lanterns were $16 at Academy Sportings Goods back then. Also each was a different color.
      ..

      Delete
  2. What a delight! The first three lines lead me on a journey .. one I thoroughly enjoyed. Great way to use those words, Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fluid and with more than a little mysticism about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely concepts here, Carrie. A poem may be like making wool without a spinning wheel, but I think we do pretty well at using the wheel of our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous: “we dig into the trenches fierce like lions yet with the ink of grace”

    ReplyDelete
  6. "it is letters that always arrive with no postage ever paid"

    i like that line, really hits on the transcendental nature of verse, the idea that poetry is everywhere and in everything. very well said

    ReplyDelete