Monday, December 20, 2021

young eyes see the rain drops old eyes see the storm,

Linking with Shay's Word Garden Word List #5 (Gregory Corso)

Come join us!


When we are young and our heart is an acrobat

sorrow never steals the beauty of the day

even nuns can’t turn us away from the fierce and the glorious

awe and wonder of something new

life is a tv

a magnificent show

and if we are lucky

each day a birthday in itself

but time and weather do take away

they dry oceans and conjure ghosts

volcanoes eventually erupt

yet engines lose their steam

and acrobats their agility

just like my heart

now I am fat on regret

I eat them till they are skin and bone

emaciated and sorrowful to see

they steal the beauty in the room

where I yawn until my eyes are truly closed.

 

 Note:

Ironically I thought of Corso’s life in writing this but did an opposite view, since his early years were as rough as an old man’s face.



Photo by Aline Nadai from Pexels
 

16 comments:

  1. I have a dress in that exact print—from the picture. I love the title concept. So true. Gorgeous photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, is it Peppermint? Correct me if I'm wrong. It is a lovely print. I love the image too. I got it at Pexels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the line about nuns!! Find it fascinating how many creative folks with Catholic school backgrounds are less than flattering when it comes to nuns. My youngest son would 100% agree. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Believe it or not, when I was 10 I wanted to grow up to be one. That lasted all of 8 hours. 🤣

      Delete
  4. "Even nuns cant turn us away...." and "now I am fat on regret"....oh, yes. I feel this, every day. The Before - and the endless remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, I enjoyed your atmospheric piece. The image is striking. The red against what looks like the rain of the dress under it, as tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa! I enjoyed your poem as well. I am really loving these word lists!!

      Delete
  6. Hey Carrie, thanks for writing for the word list! It made me sad that it started so upbeat and ended with a sigh, though.

    Hey, I have a pair of boho pants exactly like the ones in the picture! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really loving the word lists Shay, so I am happy to be participating. I love boho pants. I bet they are gorgeous!

      Delete
  7. "even nuns can’t turn us away from the fierce and the glorious": having gone to a convent school in my very early childhood, I can say they truly try!! I like what you did here, and how authentically it rings in my ear, Carrie.
    Pax,
    Dora

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first line is so vivid and true, Carrie, and all the rest of it, too. I was especially struck by "..now I am fat on regret/I eat them till they are skin and bone.." and so we do, devour the memories looking for what can sustain us until they are nothing but skin and bone...or so I read. A great take on the list words, and I can feel a little Corso in it, too. Happy Holidays to you and yours, Carrie, and thanks for all the work you do at Muse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy! I am delighted it spoke to you. It is my pleasure to post at the Muse and you are very welcome. I hope you had a lovely holiday my friend!

      Delete
  9. This is a stunning poem, Carrie! Each line is so contained and punchy and makes perfect sense. My favourites:

    "our heart is an acrobat"
    "each day a birthday in itself"
    "now I am fat on regret"

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah, the acrobats of youth, very well said. happy holidays

    ReplyDelete