Saturday, December 18, 2021

I Would Fly but My Hip is Acting Up,

 


Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse #191 hosted this week by the utterly amazing poet Shay!

Come join us!


"Everything slows down with age, except the time it takes cake and ice cream to reach your hips." - John Wagner

 

 

I have become heavy like a ship

But not so sea worthy

Capable of sinking at more than an iceberg

I cannot pinpoint the exact moment

Nor remember when I could no longer move with the ease of a raven

I just know now my being is cumbersome and weary to run

It happened like wrinkles and joint pain

A slow conjuring of proof of the journey

Slow like a teenager heading to chores

But sooner or later the leaves are flying all around you waiting to be raked

Dishes are crusted and need to be soaked

Just like my feet


18 comments:

  1. "Slow like a teenager heading to shores"! Oh gosh I remember THAT. My son acted like he was being sent to the gallows. Somehow, he survived, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think all of us parents have experienced that. LOL

      Delete
  2. This made me smile, Carrie, from title to final word. Oh so true.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, I love this line:
    "A slow conjuring of proof of the journey"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very much feeling this this weekend. :) True and vividly rendered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Carrie, as Sisters Mary Anne and Shirley love to say: "you're preaching to the choir, Helen Louise!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate. You paint the ills and aches with a knowing brush. Yet we still have got to do what a woman's got to do, including crusty dishes, and personalities. ;) Have a happy holiday season, dear Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy, and happy holidays to you as well.

      Delete
  7. I laughed and cried. The sign of a great poem.

    BTW, if you eat the cake and goodies standing up, the calories pass the hips and land in the feet. ...an excellent excuse to go shopping for shoes. ...which tracking apps count as exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thank you Charley. I will have to try that, but then getting new shoes is a problem too, mainly because of bunions! LOL

      Delete
  8. Ah written as one growing old. At first I thought it might be you. I will be before you want it. I tell Mrs. Jim that I can no longer put my pants on both legs at a time. To me that is getting old. I really could jump into my pants both legs once. Looking back I think being old begins àound the eighties although before it comes we expect to be elderly in the seventies.
    Carrie, enjoy your aches and pains, worse is to come.
    My wish for you and yours now,
    MERRY CHRISTMAS and
    a HAPPY NEW YEAR
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we all have things we can no longer do that mark getting old to us. Merry Christmas Jim to you and Mrs. Jim!

      Delete
  9. Love your opener/title? of this, Carrie. You humanized the crow,
    and it worked well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this, right from the beginning with that opening line. It really captures the feeling of aging in a vivid way.

    ReplyDelete