Saturday, November 13, 2021

Three Different Sisters of the Same Mother

 3 Simple Poems for the Sunday Muse # 186 hosted this week by the stunningly talented Shay!

Come join us!


The question is not what you look at, but what you see. ~Henry David Thoreau


Speak,

Things are not always what they seem to be

This world has a way of taking away and gifting what we do not expect

We hold what we can and take a lifetime learning to let go

when I was a child

 mountains looked so far away

and so did the future

my grandparents’ house was a mansion in my eyes

rooms echoed with my voice

and I felt large like a star

every bad day and mistake was an ocean I could not handle swimming

expectations

so many expectations

what I should be

how I should behave

but I learned from the men in my life how to be a good man

that may not be what you expected me to say

but things are not always what they seem.


Own,

I have picked flowers from someone else’s garden to place upon my table

For I had no garden of my own

I built a house from the wood of someone else’s trees for shelter

For I had no place to call home

I read poems from the lips of someone else’s parting

For I longed to have a voice of my own.


Open,

My eyes are tired of seeing what you cannot

Open eyes cannot see what truly is

Especially when hearts are closed

Shut tight like a prison door

Beauty is everywhere

It is in front of your face

It is written between the lines

Of all the lines one heart must cross

To reach where it was meant to be.


14 comments:

  1. I love all 3, each touch a place where my footsteps have trod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these, Carrie! I'm so pleased that you wrote something for each image and continued the them of the prompt. Well done, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this, Carrie. I wish I could write this way having it in my repertoire. Own had the best illusion from her/his, this Sister learned to be a girl. Where learned was "I learned from the men in my life how to be a good man." A daddy's girl?
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow carrie, all three of these are great, the second one really stood out to me, is has a longing tone, i could really feel the pain in that one. but again all three of these... well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a real treat! The way you expressed the journey through the phases of life is just brilliant. Loved it Carrie. And this line is my favourite " every bad day and mistake was an ocean I could not handle swimming "

    ReplyDelete
  6. "We hold what we can and take a lifetime learning to let go"

    Yes indeed

    Happy Sunday

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each of these is beautiful and hopeful and warm. Perfect start to a morning and really welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm especially struck by how different the feel is to each of these Carrie, yet how much they share. I'm partial to the first, which reminds me of my own childhood, " I felt large like a star" is genius, and also its unexpected yet profoundly true ending, but the others are also poignant and beautiful, and that is *not* an illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrie, you have taken three unique images and in writing to each, given us a cohesive picture of their sameness. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "We hold what we can and take a lifetime learning to let go." So wise and true. Oh, you took my breath away with "I learned from the men in my life how to be a good man." Me, too, though too late to do me any good. Smiles. I love every line, and the middle stanza really resonates. I LOVE "Beauty is everywhere." Wow, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I read poems from the lips of someone else’s parting" - wonderful! That says so, so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. “every bad day and mistake was an ocean I could not handle” ... Girl, that is still me.

    I love the phrase “swimming expectations.”

    ReplyDelete
  13. A problem, not really a comment for you to keep.

    psyche at "http://psychedelicicee.blogspot.com/" gets me permission denied, by invitation only.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! These are all amazing, Carrie. They read like bio cameos.

    ReplyDelete