Monday, November 29, 2021

A Beautiful Yet Crazy Moon

 


Linking with the wonderful Word Garden Word List Prompt #2 (Plath) created and hosted by the amazing poet Shay aka Fireblossom.  Each week we have a theme, and this time it is Sylvia Plath.

Come join us!

Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing. ~ Sylvia Plath 

 

 

In my heart even the moon is counterfeit 

It falls into the shadows 

Appears with no warning like a maniac 

Just to leave again, like daddy when he is drunk 

I don’t brag but that is how I learned 

 to dither in the gobbledygoo of idiots 

First I mailed the letters never written  

To the lilies in the forgotten valley 

For they were dehydrated like water from an empty pool 

A thirst I could understand 

Then I tossed paper planes to nowhere 

and sang words that only coiled in weariness  

like a lioness after a futile hunt 

When we learn to exist in the silence 

we can sometimes exit by that same piercing secret 

How do broken hearts and minds mend

I ask repeatedly to no one that is truly hearing 

the peacocks are busy cocking

But the blueberries and empty space listen

Sadly I am no longer hungry for what they provide.

10 comments:

  1. I love the paper planes to nowhere, and the theme that continues after that. It all fits perfectly with your opening quote. Thanks so much for being part of my word list prompt, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shay!! I am delighted to participate. I am really loving the word lists!!

      Delete
  2. "When we learn to exist in the silence /we can sometimes exit by that same piercing secret .." Very reminiscent of Plath, Carrie. I agree with Shay about the opening quote. Enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, kudos for using all of the words (I prefer blueberries to blackberries too personally! :-D) and secondly to make them all hang together with such coherent beauty is remarkable. I enjoyed this very much!

    Sunra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, you constructed such a powerful poem by using every word on the list. "When we learn to exist in the silence we can sometimes exit by that same piercing secret " Love that line. I think I must have channeled the place you were in because my poem speaks to that quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my friend! I absolutely love yours! Powerful writing Susie!

      Delete
  5. "In my heart even the moon is counterfeit" - fantastic. Perfect opening line.

    ReplyDelete