Saturday, November 6, 2021

Being Alive

 



Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse #185
Come join us!


Life is a mixed blessing, which we vainly try to unmix. ~Mignon McLaughlin

 

 

Being alive is a strange and magnificent thing

a vessel

 that moves

and breathes

and holds

we are filled with a spirit

 like wine in a glass

yet we can hold so much emptiness

and carry loss with the gentle strength of a mother holding her child

my hands tried to keep you close

to know you like a mother does

and fill every need upon your lips

I thought love could be strong enough

to never break

but I have learned a thing or two since then

a heart that has never broken

is broken indeed

and even a hurting heart can move on

it beats even when shattered

and unlike a fallen wine glass

It still can hold what it longs for

love

that is one of the many bittersweet miracles of being alive.

 

 

 

 

 

13 comments:

  1. Carrie, I like your telling of this part of mixing in life. For me the line, "even a hurting heart can move on," I have lived that part. Things were gradually settling down and then wham, a bolt of good fortune came upon me. She was eating at our landlady's supper, I was in school. The teacher dismissed class after roll and I went to the apartment supper. I found my roommate and his girl, sitting with them was to be my new to-be Mrs. Jim. After eating my roomy had said, "please don't go, Jim might come."
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. An unbroken heart is indeed a broken heart ~~ I had not considered it. Beautifully penned, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an evocative poem, Carrie. Good for quiet discussion over a bottle of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your positive message, Carrie. It would be a cold heart that has never been broken indeed. I love the closing message - that a hurting heart can still hold love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Broken hearts ... part of life's disappointments ... forever hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these lines 'unlike a fallen wine glass/It still can hold what it longs for/love'. Beautiful poem Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the lines "a heart that has never broken//is broken indeed"! Also, the quote at the beginning was a great start to a wonderful poem; enjoyed the way you gave an empathic read on the broken glass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so poignant - exemplified in these very telling lines
    "it beats even when shattered"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with Chrissa. That opening quote sparks the reader's thoughts, and the poem continues the theme. We are all broken many times in this life, but as the writer assures us, we are not made of glass, but something far far stronger. Loved this, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "yet we can hold so much emptiness"
    Fantastic line yet the poem trangresses to the hope of holding love.
    Nice one.

    Happy Sunday

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have outdone yourself here, Carrie. It's beautiful and wise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so heartbreaking carrie, this rings of a mother's heartbreak, which is the worst kind of heartbreak, seams everything tonight is going to remind me of it... wish i could say that i don't relate

    ReplyDelete