Saturday, February 6, 2021

Dear Grandmother

 


"Natural Woman" Digital Collage Art "Covid Creations" by Susie Clevenger

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse #146


 

My debt to you, Belovèd,
Is one I cannot pay
In any coin of any realm
On any reckoning day...
~Jessie B. Rittenhouse

 

It was freedom to know you

like sky is to land

you were someone else’s garden

but still flowers within my hand

to hear your voice was bird’s song

 whispered among the trees

the echo of true moonlight

that lit the path before my feet

there is a might in yearning

that carries stars to distant lands

makes men sail across oceans

where a boy becomes a man

a woman can bear more things

 than children from within her hips

she carries and nests the home of generations

from callused knees and prayers on lips

It was freedom to know you

like open cages are to wings

you let me find my voice

and then taught me how to sing. 

17 comments:

  1. This is an exquisite poem, Carrie. The last two lines are marvelous. If we are lucky, we all have that person who let us find our voice and taught us how to sing. So beautifully worded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "she carries and nests the home of generations / from callused knees and prayers on lips" yes, the women carry so, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'it was freedom to know you ... and then taught me how to sing' ~ incredibly moving lines in a lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i love this, Carrie. My grandma did those things for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were someone else's garden - excellent line in an excellent tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes. Brilliant. "she carries and nests the home of generations

    from callused knees and prayers on lips" -- and so few understand that truth... certainly not the boys becoming men.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people touch our lives teaching us to sing . Beautiful piece

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful tribute poem to your grandmother. She sounds like a very special lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, Carrie, a fine tribute to your grandmother. I like letter poems too, haven't done one in quite a while. Must do. I wish my grandmother would have taught me to sing, I for a while sang in in choir and in a men's chorus but then after a move to New Hampshire the director there said he'd rather not have me in his choir.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. “It was freedom to know you” ... What incredible praise.

    “you were someone else’s garden

    but still flowers within my hand”

    Sigh. So beautiful. I like that this could mean a person is borrowed on earth from the realm of heaven—actually belonging to God.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful. "It was freedom to know you like open cages are to wings you let me find my voice and then taught me how to sing. " Oh, the blessings of those you find in your life that gift you with freedom stirs the spirit to soar. Thank you so much for this beautiful poem and for sharing my art this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Classic set of musings, Carrie, great! Grannie is a always a gem of a lady and a girl's best friend

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  14. How blessed you were to have such a wonderful grandmother in your life. Beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much everyone for reading and for your lovely words here. It is appreciated very much. <3

    ReplyDelete