Saturday, March 5, 2022

The Things I Remembered at 2 am Waiting for the Test Results

 


Photo by Jonah Reenders


The best thing I know in favor of TIGHT SHOES is that it makes a fellow forget all of his other troubles. ~Josh Billings

 

I used to search for worms in the blades of grass by the porch.

I found them fascinating like a scientist studies disease and the cells of change.

All the hidden things we do not understand; they escape us somehow.

Too small for human eyes to truly see or hands and minds to grasp.

I asked questions as children always do;

Why is the sky blue?

Where are my go-go boots?

Why was daddy drunk last night?

When is mommy coming home from the hospital?

Some answers never came, and others I wished didn’t,

but it never stopped me from questioning the world.

I just moved on to bigger questions and bigger problems,

like a graduate of hard knocks climbing to even higher spots trying not to fall.

We learn to tie our shoes, before we learn to hike, but sometimes we slip into the water before we can swim.

I have learned that sometimes knowing is painful, but uncertainty hurts more.

Like stepping out into the brush barefoot.  It is better to know where not to step,

and what direction you truly need to go.



Linking with the Sunday Muse for #201.  Come join us!

21 comments:

  1. It is always so good to go into life knowing what your are up againt, but that is not always possible...good poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that Larry. Sometimes the knowing isn't possible at all. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. The not knowing is when the leap of faith becomes necessary, knowing many hold you in their thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true about faith Bev. Fortunately this is a fictional scenario. So glad you joined in at the Muse my friend.

      Delete
  3. Carrie, I like the progression from 'childlike' thoughts/questions to 'adult' issues/answers ... well done. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So light and fluid but with such wisdom. What is said are plot points to a larger picture each of us are able to personalize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa. Wishing you a very week.

      Delete
  5. "Where are my go-go boots?" I don't think I remember asking that as a child, but it was a really great line, LOL! Yes to all the rest. We question with every step forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never had go-go boots? LOL Yes, questions come with living don't they? I hope you are not too busy these days Qbit.

      Delete
  6. Knowing what's the next step on the horizon, truly we are floored.
    Have a blessed day Carrie

    Much💛💙love

    ReplyDelete
  7. True that. I'm still finding out. Someone keeps scattering Legos and switching the road signs. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch, it may be a metaphor but I have really done that one. LOL Life is full of surprises for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is another pocket poem--words to keep close by and re-read. It chimes a little too close to the bone this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never had go go boots. I feel deprived ! I have some leopard skin gum boots but I dont think they are the same thing

    ReplyDelete
  11. The journey is filled with questions for all of us, some get answered and some we just ponder. The next steps are filled with unknowing parts...we might get a splinter in our foot on the way.

    Personal note: When I was a kid on my aunts farm we would swim in the pond. One day, it was hot and we took off our shoes in anticipation to jump in the cool water. I, unknowingly, stepped in a wrong place and a piece of wood became embedded in my foot. My fun was short lived as I had to get it removed and stitched up. I guess, we learn along the way...watch where you step...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is good to often reflect on what there is in it for us, more so in times of uncertainties currently. Invasion on other countries seems like a plaything now! Pity! Wonderful write Carrie!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much wisdom in this poem. I especially note the lines about tying our shoes, but sometimes slipping into the water before we learn to swim.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the uncertainties, as you say, are worse.
    Strong and thoughtful poem, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "It is better to know where not to step,"
    **sigh** it is... but sometimes it's so hard to learn....

    ReplyDelete