Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Somewhere Between Love Letters & Divorce Papers




When you have written a hundred poems of the remembrance of love,

how do you speak of the forgetting?

Do you measure every margin of a cherished page of poems?

Or ask the mute swan in winter for an annotation of spring?

I loved you in the bright of morning never afraid of the dark of night.

I swam a lovely ocean toward you,

and I could barely swim!

But somewhere between follies splash,

and dreadful storms,

I was stricken with the ailment of unknowing.

My heart lost the strength to hold

what it once could not let go.

Now I swim rough seas in the twilight

unaware of the sting

that once led me to you.


Linking with Shay's Word Garden Word List #15 (Millay)

Come join us! 

11 comments:

  1. What are you doing in the water, girl?!? I made sandwiches, here's a towel, dry off! Turn my back for 5 seconds and you're out there in the briney. :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I never leave when there is sandwiches!! 🤩

      Delete
  2. This is stunning. My favorites:

    “ask the mute swan in winter for an annotation of spring”
    the last six lines

    Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sadness and the beauty of remembered love are all in here, Carrie, and the struggles it brings to the heart, which is a lonely swimmer. Definitely something Millay would be familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much my friend! I suppose love has left it's mark on us all.

      Delete
  4. The forgetting ~~ impossible. A part of what makes us “us” forever. Time makes it bearable if we are fortunate ~~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. This poem captures the heart's experience so well. I, too, love the mute swan line especially. Really fine writing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Sherry! I find it hard not to be continually writing about some faze of love and the loss of it

      Delete
  6. Stunning poem, Carrie, I love the narrative of how this woman strengthens throughout the poem so much so she no longer feels the sting. I love these lines:

    "When you have written a hundred poems of the remembrance of love,
    how do you speak of the forgetting?"

    "Now I swim rough seas in the twilight
    unaware of the sting
    that once led me to you."

    Beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete