Sunday, February 27, 2022

Hope Can Be Held Whole or Served by the Slice


 Freedom is strangely ephemeral. It is something like breathing; one only becomes acutely aware of its importance when one is choking. ~William E. Simon

 

I never was brave or good with a knife,

but sometimes I take words and slice them,

so, you can see the core of my life

 and I serve them to the world on once empty plates.

For the rumbles of hunger call like thunder in the rain,

to sailors and farmers alike.

The living yearn to be fed.

Be it hope or be it bread.

So I started trying to fill the emptiness that lives in every silent place,

brush away every heartache

like tears from a child’s tired face.

 And say, it will all be okay,

but truly mean it!

You see I never learned to swim underwater.

Because I was always frightened of not being able to breathe.

I saw someone take their last gasping breath,

and I heard the silence that it leaves.

Since that day, I took hope and ink and learned to speak,

to soothe a bitter ache in the world,

and sooth the ache in me.

Cause I was never brave or good with a knife,

but sometimes I take words and slice them

so you can see the core of my life.

 

 



Carrie 101 💗:

In continuation of my post at the Muse, you may know I work at a library, and that it is inside a lovely garden park where photographers and families come to enjoy the beauty, but what you do not know is:

.....I am almost 60, I have been over weight most of my adulthood.  I have always struggled with knowing how to tell people "no".  I am horrifically afraid of heights. I work out 3 days a week or more to keep my heart healthy, cause most of my family members have died young.  I have a major addiction to English muffins and tacos.  Now that I got some of the messy stuff out of the way, I will tell you all the good things:  I have 5 grown kids.  One I gave birth to, and four that God gave me in marriages.  In turn I have lots of amazing grandchildren that make my heart smile.  We will leave it at that, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments.
Thank you again everyone for being a part of the 200th celebration at the Muse!  Especially to Chrissa, Shay & Toni too! 💓💓💓

Linking with the 200th Sunday Muse.  

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem and heart. I love the sharing at the end. What a precious and rare core you have. Thank you for posting exactly this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking words, slicing them, serving them up is brilliant! I have ‘known’ you for decades and treasure our friendship, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sweet, gentle self comes through, Cassie. You slice words and serve them up very well! (I never learned to swim under water either, by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you serve words by the slice. Thank heaven for words as we journey through this life! I am happy you have such a big family and grandkids to keep you smiling. Thank you for The Muse, Carrie. It is a friendly and wonderful place to come, even if some weeks I dont find the words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The living yearn to be fed.
    Be it hope or be it bread."

    Wow!!!

    Happy Sunday. Thanks for dropping by my blog today

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what we do, isn't it? And sometimes it's a slice of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slice those words and fill plates generously. Not being brave is okay, some confuse being careless on taking chances with being brave. My favorite lines are "brush away every heartache like tears from a child’s tired face." They tugged at my heart. I didn't mention family, all five kids live here in the Houston area, six grandkids, one in NYC and one in Caifornia, four great-grands, all in the Houston area, and two great great-grands.
    I liked your idea of telling some about ourselves, good to know fellow writers better as persons.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I never was brave or good with a knife, but sometimes I take words and slice them," - Perfect. And so great to read about your life. Happy 200th TSM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You slice words and share with a loving heart. Thank you for all you do. Happy 200th - Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. but sometimes I take words and slice them
    so you can see the core of my life

    Love the genuine acceptance of what is that you manage to control by slicing them where necessary. Not easy to face up to it in many instances but your strategic response is surely a lifesaver Carrie. Thanks Carrie for being so caring.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this poem! The lines and the heart within them are strong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrie, one of your best yet. My favorite lines:
    "The living yearn to be fed.
    Be it hope or be it bread."
    TSM is a good place to be nourished.
    Glad to learn more about you. I'm a big fan of libraries and tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You slice words expertly, Carrie! Love this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much everyone for your sweet comments. I will visit you at your blogs to respond. 😍

    ReplyDelete
  15. "but sometimes I take words and slice them

    so you can see the core of my life."

    I think that will stay with me for a long time.

    Soon I'll write something about myself... too much going on...

    Thanks for the wonderful anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. สูตรสล็อต Pg slot แหล่งทำเงินสล็อตยอดนิยมปี 2021 เล่นง่าย ได้เงินจริง มีระบบฝากถอนเงินด้วยระบบออโต้ที่รวดเร็ว

    ReplyDelete