Saturday, September 4, 2021

True Love Has No Poker Face

 

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse #176

Sometimes when I'm lucky
I remember that place
Where I saw a full house
Within your eyes
Back when we had so much
 to gain and hope for
We could not see
All that could be lost
So we took risks rolling the dice
And headed into the sunset 
Like it was the dawn
Winning each other's hearts
Even though it was a losing game
You see thrill is a fast car
And sooner or later
It runs out of gas
And sometimes the king of hearts
Gets lost in the shuffle
 Of the everyday
You were gone
 before the second year
And my heart was gone
Long before that
Still I have no regrets
For sometimes when I'm lucky
I remember that place
Where I saw a full house
Within your eyes
And I remember why
I never gamble
 when it comes to love.

13 comments:

  1. Ah yes, every flicker of love counts

    Good Sunday

    Much 💖 love

    ReplyDelete
  2. “ Where I saw a full house / Within your eyes” Great! Yes, we gamble with the cards we have been dealt. Lady Luck sometimes blows over those dice, even if we don’t understand it at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking--each line tips me straight into the next until that ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. truer words: "..thrill is a fast car
    And sooner or later
    It runs out of gas..." been there, done that, kicked a slot machine. Loved this, and the pic, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I LOVE those opening and closing lines. That full house in the other's eyes. Hooked me right in. And "thrill is a fast car and sooner or later it runs out of gas." So good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You took this great image and turned it on it's head. Wow! Home/Cards/Loss/Gain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. Sometimes we come up with a bust hand when we're expecting a full house. I like where you went with this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great lines , this one in particular: 'sometimes the King of Hearts gets lost in the shuffle'. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice use of the "full house" setting. Of course they never had that kind of luck, but we all try for it. I don't play for money anymore, but back when I was single and young, I had three jobs. One was a Saturday night job of putting the ads and funny paper into the Sunday paper over at the Lincoln Star press site. While waiting for newspapers to stuff we would play poker, the fellows, and I won quite often. That was for penny anti poker, I was a tight wad and winning the pennies meant more to me than the others so I played harder.
    Thanks for the prompt, it made a fun write.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you gambled a learned. Great interpretation of the image!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "You see thrill is a fast car
    And sooner or later
    It runs out of gas
    And sometimes the king of hearts
    Gets lost in the shuffle
    Of the everyday"

    Love that, Carrie, and the title as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your ending makes all of the rest blur into knowing support for it. The full house in the eyes would make anyone melt, but oh that searing pain is never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "And sometimes the king of hearts
    Gets lost in the shuffle
    Of the everyday"

    The truth, and nothing but the truth

    ReplyDelete