Saturday, August 14, 2021

The Wrote Those Songs To Hear Your Voice

 

Self Portrait With Accordion""naive" style art by artist Guido Vedovato

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse #173 hosted this week by the brilliant poet Shay!


You don't have to suffer to be a poet. Adolescence is enough suffering for anyone. ~John Ciardi

 

 

 At 15 the world holds a bigger view

and each hurt is a million falls

from the same kicked shoe

a heart has trees upon mountains

 that no soul can climb

we hold empty hands and loads of time

wide eyed we see the horizon

like a barbed wire fence yet an open gate

freedom’s curse and then freedom’s fate

for blue eyes see a heavy plot

what home should be

and what home is not

in 1978 I sang of broken dreams

as my voice carried on a drunken breeze

of my grandfather’s stories and my mother’s lies

It kept me searching

 naïve yet wise

I wrote those songs to hear your voice

 and see the truth

to find my path

 beyond the plight of youth.


13 comments:

  1. Why we love and respect you, Ms. Carrie. Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fifteen doesnt seem that long ago, yet what a journey it has been. I love this, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding our path beyond the plight of youth is sometimes a rocky road. Glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sadly moving Carrie, and I am finding some of myself in this piece. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, I really like this, it begs of the reader's memory. The first to hit me was "broken dreams," I have several (many?) but never realized or thought that way. I've had so many open doors I couldn't dwell long on the ones slammed in my face with my arm caught tight.
    I don't talk of them nor do I cry visibly. Mostly I remember all the good times before.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. "we hold empty hands and loads of time"

    Luv this image

    Good Sunday

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, the label punched me in the gut.

    It is a wonder we make it through those confusing, scary years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many great lines in this Carrie, the heart with its tree-strewn mountains, the title itself, and my favorite.."we see the horizon/
    like a barbed wire fence yet an open gate/freedom’s curse and then freedom’s fate.." A wise and musical poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just wonderful! Pulls you in and keeps you there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a wonder anyone survives adolescence! The hormones compounded with,
    "each hurt is a million falls
    from the same kicked shoe"
    makes it something few would want to repeat. Good job of describing those years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tons of exquisite lines here :) My favorite has to be: 'a heart has trees upon mountains/

    that no soul can climb'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pg เว็บสล็อต สมัคร ฟรี สมัคร PG Slot กับเว็บไซต์ของเรา รับโปรโมชั่นดีๆที่หาไม่ได้จากที่อื่น พร้อมทั้งระบบการสมัครสมาชิกที่รองรับให้ท่านสามารถสมัครได้อย่างรวดเร็ว ผ่านทางระบบออโต้

    ReplyDelete