Saturday, December 28, 2019

The Hands of Time

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 88

Time is making fools of us again. ~J.K. Rowling


As a child I tried to swiftly chase time
Wanting to make it move faster ahead
Oil all the levers of every clock
See them dash around with fantastic speed
I longed for now to be later
And for later to be all that now was not
The freedom of adult sized shoes
To carry me where I wanted to go
And that was somewhere else
Up ahead in the distance
not where I stood
Years have passed since then
And I like the place where my adult shoes stand
Now is a precious commodity
I hold it gently yet very close
And I long to slow down the hands of time
Let the moments last longer and take it all in
For I look back and wonder where the time has gone
It slipped through my fingers
While I was so busy looking ahead.

9 comments:

  1. "Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity." --Henry Van Dyke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shay....I absolutely adore that quote. I should have put that one! Happy New Year to you my friend! :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the image of a child racing to oil the clocks and overwind them while the adult is going in the opposite direction with the opposite intention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrissa. Yes, I think that we have different views on time when it comes to our age. Arriving at the picnic and being closer to the time to leave seems to change our perception of things. Hope you have a great weekend and Happy New Year my friend.

      Delete
  3. Yes, time slips through our fingers and sometimes we long to recapture some of it, but for the most part we are content with our present, but dare not look to our future. Loved your take, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one thing we cannot regain is time, however, we can embrace the time we have. I am a believer in living in the now. I can imagine a child chasing time wild and free. Wishing you a Happy New Year Carrie! May 2020 be a good one! It certainly sound wonderful to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is excellent, Carrie. All so sadly true.

    "I longed for now to be later
    And for later to be all that now was not"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how we miss so much because we leap forward in want while missing the blessing in now. Love this!

    ReplyDelete