Saturday, June 1, 2024

Her Voice is a Stranger Now

 




It is strange how we lose the memory of a voice. We can picture the smile, feel the grip of the hands, or see the stance, but the voice it slowly fades into the distance like a cowboy on his horse into the sunset. After 50 years, it is something I know has slipped completely away from me, like a lover that was destined to leave one day; her voice is a stranger now. I can only wonder if I heard it again, would my face light up or would I be unaware of the gift.



Linking with What's Going On? The prompt this week is "sounds".

Come join us!


15 comments:

  1. Hard to say, and hard to think we wouldn't know it if we heard it again. Then again, perhaps we would?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is a question I may never have the answer to.

      Delete
  2. Carrie, I think you would remember it. I am almost SURE you would. This poem struck a chord with me. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the wonderful prompt Mary!

      Delete
  3. Ah. To capture an event of absence in sound! You put me in mind of many I have lost--at first all at once--and then in memory's stages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to see you here Susan and do love ya'll's prompt site. I will try to make it there when I can.

      Delete
  4. Oh, so poignant, Carrie, the loss and then losing the memory of the voice, a double grief. Lovely to see you at What's Going On - always so good to read you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherry and I am delighted to have made it to ya'll's prompt!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much everyone! I was just delighted to have make it to "What's Going On?" 🤩✍️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strange indeed. You make us wonder too, Carrie, and feel the pain of that memory's loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dora for stopping by my friend.

      Delete
  7. Remembering a voice that's not been heard for years might be difficult but I am sure if it's heard once again face will definitely light up. I am now mulling over your last line.
    So lovely to see you here and read your lines Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sumana and it is lovely to see you as well.

      Delete
  8. very thought provoking and interesting to read - More here in the depths - Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete