Saturday, November 28, 2020

The Force of Longing

 

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 136
Hosted this week by the spectacular poet Chrissa!

There was a time when I was submerged in the emptiness of my mother's regrets
unable to breathe with my own lungs nor speak with my own voice
one would think that the weight of regret could flood a soul
but instead it takes away
drop by drop until all that is left is a parched and thirsty place
yet it is there that I learned to reach out
finding my own voice
immersing myself in poetry 
thirsty for hope and hungry to be heard
for longing is a greater force than lost regrets that cannot be salvaged from the rubble
longing pushes us onward like a canoe in a river
headed to something greater
a purpose and message beyond ourselves
a voice that speaks of hope and beauty
to our daughters' daughters
we may never meet.


14 comments:

  1. This is delving deep, and it is so lovely. Those last lines of the" message beyond ourselves, a voice that speaks of hope and beauty to our daughters' daughters we may never meet" grabbed me by the heartstrings. Beautiful write, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gifted us a poem with purpose and a message beyond yourself. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem speaks to me COMPLETELY!!!!!! Your six closing lines say it as truly as it can be said. Bravo! I am not "wording" at the moment, I feel sort of suspended as I am moving house.......distracted.........but I love reading poetry still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I went in similar directions with this Carrie. I love what you have written here.
    I especially like “for longing is a greater force than lost regrets that cannot be salvaged from the rubble” — strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nicepoem, Carrie. So nicely it flowed. "submerged in the emptiness of my mother's regrets," I am saddened though by the mother's regrets. I couldn't decide here, but if the regret is still there while raising the child, times will be hard.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. "for longing is a greater force than lost regrets that cannot be salvaged from the rubble"
    profound contemplation Rob

    Happy Sunday

    (✿◠‿◠)

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. "..longing pushes us onward like a canoe in a river..." the long journey of becoming ourselves is indeed a river, though often it seems isolating and confined like the water in the pictured tank, it's all part of a larger system which you illuminate for us here, the connections between us saved from a tangled beginning. Great take on the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. This just swept me away; your poetry always gathers so many ideas the river metaphor is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that the water which was the drowning weight of others becomes the "immersion" of poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. RAWR! We just couldn't be silenced, could we, friend?

    ReplyDelete
  12. longing pushes us onward like a canoe in a river
    headed to something greater
    a purpose and message beyond ourselves

    Longings can be a portent push forward to achieve success, more than just hope that may end in activity! Wise words Carrie!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you found your voice, your beautiful voice. Your words will live on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carrie, this is a poem that gives us much hope. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete