Saturday, September 19, 2020

Final Signiture

 

Image: Brooke Shaden

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 126 
Hosted this week by the legend in her own time talent Shay!
Come join us!


 

“Even without wars, life is dangerous.”

  ~ Anne Sexton

 

My name no longer ends with yours

what was once whispered low

is now a bellow yet still a song

these words I give liberation

but for you they will echo

back and forth with a force that leaves a sting

I will no longer lay down in your dark pastures

hidden by your wheat and lost oaks

I shall rise like smoke

leaving a burn in your throat

you will never be able to swallow

like the hardest of pills

forgetting would be a luxury now

these aches are deeper than one sunburn out on the plow

the truest of regrets splinter in and root deep

the softness of my love

will settle into your heart that way

a piercing prick

pushing ever deeper

full with the ache you cannot forget

I gave you everything once

you stomped on it like a lit cigarette on the ground

I will take what light I still have with me

both heat and light rise and so shall I

my name no longer ends with yours

I suppose it never truly did.

13 comments:

  1. This is incredibly poignant, sad and beautiful. Bravo, my talented friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise and honest, Carrie, with truth at its end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “...my name no longer ends with yours

    I suppose it never truly did.”

    This is such a strong cry of liberation and freedom Carrie. Potent, poignant, and piercing. Love the refrain and deep truth of your closing couplet. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! "I shall rise like smoke leaving a burn in your throat you will never be able to swallow." I love "I will take what light I still have with me"....and rise......awesome woman-power!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a poem this full of anger and as Sherry said WOMAN POWER in many a day and LOVE it. Brava My Lady Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my name no longer ends with yours
    I suppose it never truly did.

    A parting of ways will invariably reveal how deep was the feelings for each other. It can work out but it will take only a small fissure to end it all. Lovely take Carrie!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. The opening line really sets the pace for this song of freedom from the past. Sometimes, one need to reach that higher decimal to reinforce ones convictions and arise in a new awakening.
    One cannot help but, feel the words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "what was once whispered low / is now a bellow yet still a song" - fantastic. And this: "hidden by your wheat and lost oaks"

    ReplyDelete
  9. A spell-like cadence, and strong lyric message delivered without compromise. Too many excellent lines to count, but I especially liked "...these aches are deeper than one sunburn out on the plow/ the truest of regrets splinter in and root deep.." I have definitely been there. You really work the picture into your images seamlessly, and cause both to shine with truth and sincerity. My pleasure to read., and to learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Telling it like it is, Carrie. One must do this to ever feel free, tell of the waning love on your part. I remember mine, I felt it bombed but the purpose was met for me. She took it like, "Well he really wasn't perfect like my mother said." But she kept my name until the first next husband came. When they parted she took my name again. It helped with the kids.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carrie, I appreciate your struggle to have a name that no longer ends with yours. Keep your light.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my--this is fierce and gorgeous. I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beginning and ending repeat adds much power to this poem. Love it!

    ReplyDelete