Saturday, August 1, 2020

Freedom Is as Soft as Feathers and Strong as Wings in Flight,

Artistic Photography Dreamlike Portrait Photography by Damien Casals


Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 119




I hold my freedom close like feathers to a bird

So as not to forget the way it feels upon my chest
For there are souls that never had the ease of those winds to cool their brow
for their days were stifled by the clamor of silent woes
A prison of unheard voices within their chest
I raise my eyes toward heaven holding flags in both hands
my throat full with song and a million different prayers
I am aware of the truth that defines the greatest lines of what could have been
As I sit in the shade of another’s planted tree
Knowing every inconvenience my days have ever held
would certainly be a true luxury to another life.
© Carrie Van Horn 2020

14 comments:

  1. The title itself is so full of warmth...loved every line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title.......and opening lines, especially.......holding freedom close, like feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i adore those last three lines
    Happy Sunday

    much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo many wish they could sing this song. More women than men. Also others indentured with a price that has no hopes of being paid.
    I appreciate very much these lines, " As I sit in the shade of another’s planted tree."
    Thank you for hosting.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often have these thoughts myself, that my younger self would be agog at how well things have turned out in the end. My worst day now would be a good day, then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I hold my freedom close like feathers to a bird" - Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love every line of this! Beautiful Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is wisdom in holding on to freedom. That is a powerful opening line. You speak truth,
    many have not experienced some of the freedoms of others. This is a beautiful contemplative
    piece of poetry. You held me all the way through. Happy Sunday Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exquisite, Carrie. We all sit in the shade of another's planted tree, don't we? This is a celebration of heritage, and a reminder of the sacrifices of those who came before. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautifully reflective, Carrie. Holding freedom close...so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful opening line, Carrie. Gratitude swells and carries this lovely poem, musical with the sounds of life accepted. We all have so much more than we think we do--of so many things, and that includes the power to set things right, at least each in our own worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So passionate and beautiful...Gratitude is something we all should express.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me right at that excellent title! I have been thinking about gratitude lately, whenever I have some idiotic complaint.

    ReplyDelete