Saturday, May 30, 2020

We Were Not Meant to Fly Alone

"Rocket" by Brad Phillips

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 110
Come join us!

“If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.”  ~ Mother Teresa

In my dreams I fly with sparrows
never looking down
I think my soul knows
something my mind forgot
we were not meant to fly alone
on this earth I have learned the fear of flying
always staying away from the edge
where is the courage
to explore the truth
and see what was meant to be seen?
when I am awake I walk alone
 into forests that no longer stand
feeling a loss I cannot name
I think my heart knows
something my mind forgot
we all need each other to stand up strong
on this earth I have learned to carry heavy things
and full hands have a hard time reaching out
where is the strength to do what is right
and passion to see it through?
 for in my poems I write of love and freedom
sitting behind a desk
where is the bravery to bear the journey
to venture out where there is a need?
I think my love knows something my mind forgot
we all need each other
and we were not meant to fly alone.

  
  When birds fly in flocks, they many times arrange in specific formations.  When they do this, they work together and take advantage of shifting winds.  This also helps them increase the distance they cover without needing rest.  It seems to me that birds are a lot wiser than us humans.  They see the value in each other and work together to gain a better flight in their journey.  I think we could learn something from them.

I dedicate this to George Floyd, and his grieving family.  As many others in this world, my heart grieves with them.


12 comments:

  1. I like your flying, Carrie. We can do a lot in love, walking alone finds a tough road to travel. I like watching those birds. The leader is relieved by another bird, none leads too long as it is a harder flight. I've never seen the exchange but have read about it.
    I am thinking that quite a few of us will write with George Floyd in mind, I am glad you did. I did, and lived the last of his life in my third, last, verse.
    Thank you for hosting again, nice picture to write for.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very moving, philosophic, empathizing with lots of passions. This poem certainly must have drawn you, Carrie Ma'am, into lots of thinking before writing. Enjoyed reading this!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given what is happening all around us, your poem could not be more fitting. Awesomeness in the highest. Love, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deep, heartfelt words. We live far too deeply in the material, constantly speeding up so we have no time to remember what we forgot. A great reminder here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emotional--love the way you pull at the thread of something not entirely left behind until what should unravel just soars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I resonate with "full hands have a hard time reaching out." Well said. That is my story. Plus people then expect one to be able to handle everything and, should we grow less able to as we age, they dont see that transition. I think we do have the strength to bear the journey. Though these days it is more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such deep philosophical thoughts...so true. We become so bogged down in material things we forget the basics ... the things our heart/soul forgot. Beautiful write!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "my heart knows/ something my mind forgot.." a truth that we all should face, but too often are distracted from. Your analogy to birds and the advantages they reap from cooperation as well as the burden of that lonely flight, reach deep into the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "my heart knows/ something my mind forgot.."
    We need each other and need to be able to depend on each other.
    I like your bird section, and basically think all animals are smarter
    than humans.

    ReplyDelete