Saturday, May 23, 2020

Goodbyes & Grizzly Bears

"Snow White & rose Red" art by Kerry Darlington
Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 109

“Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense.”

 ~Mark Overby


For now, my heart wraps around your love
 like the petals of a rose
wrap upon a stem
delicate like feathers
 yet as fierce as the thorns
that lie beneath
what is and will truly be
it is a never-ending kiss
for a time
But beware my dear
for in the bliss it holds
it can also have a lasting sting
 in the letting go
always in the letting go.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my, isn't that the truth, and one that no one who finds a new love wants to hear or often listens to. I just love how you worded this and broke the lines, especially the last two lines repeating. Just wonderful, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hearts wrapped around love .... beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, my poem ended in letting go too.........as do so many things in life. Smiles. I love your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the oxymoron "never-ending kiss … for a time" . There's always that love that teaches us about letting go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your progress and shift of state of the relationship. I heard on the TV (watching it a lot now?) that when a couple first marries it is for a different kind of love than it will be later in the marriage. And yes, l don't like letting go, most will do that several times before marriage and hopefully not too many after. That is almost as painful as death of a partner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes. And lovely. Love the way the poem seems to curl around one like a vine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, love does sometime leave a lasting sting long after the bliss

    ReplyDelete
  8. A delicate, eloquent poem with a little warning at the end...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "For now" -- yes indeed. Great way to start the poem with a slight shadow that only comes in darker as the poem progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With an emphasis on the grizzly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this...love can be soft petal rose, but can end in thorns..One of my favorites you've written

    ReplyDelete
  12. "it can also have a lasting sting
    in the letting go
    always in the letting go."

    I love this, Carrie. The letting go is painful.

    ReplyDelete