Monday, April 13, 2020

Tender Is the Only Way

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 103
Come join us!

“A final comfort that is small, but not cold:  The heart is the only broken instrument that works.” 
 ~T.E. Kalem

I witnessed at a tender age
the fragileness of this life 
How the softness of what we hold dear
even held tightly can be lost
 like fingers wiping tears
I carried those memories onward
 the way a soldier holds his gun
And like thorns of a brier
I learned not to get too close to anyone
But in that darkest of journeys
My path was lighted with many doves
and children that came into my world
Taught me what it was to truly love
It is a door that must remain open
For what could enter and should depart
For tender is the only way
To truly hold a heart.

Dedicated to all my children
Terry, David, Amber, Ryan & Becky.



9 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Carrie....children do teach us about love. I LOVE your closing lines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful... "It is a door that must remain open For what could enter and should depart" That line really speaks to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Tender is the only way. This poem brought tears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful autobiographical journey. Too often, after an early betrayal, we tend to close the door to what can be unless we have the courage to become vulnerable once again. Beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful Carrie, from beginning to end. You've outdone yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly lovely, and tenderly told.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~~~ for tender is the only way to truly hold a heart ~~ how incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone. This one came from what is near and dear to my heart. Wishing you all a safe and happy rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It can be so hard to trust, but when you do, and it is rewarding, it is ever more sweet.

    ReplyDelete