Saturday, April 25, 2020

For All The World To See

"The Sea Inside"  Painting by Samy Charnine

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 105


“I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart: I am, I am, I am.”  ~Sylvia Plath

My heart was always in a fish bowl
for all the world to see
  you did not see it streaming down my face
for it flowed throughout my poetry
this world is a poetic ocean
deep with sorrow
yet filled with blessings inside a net
we swallow a whiskey bottle full of lies
to spit out a glass half empty of true regret
life can be like swimming lessons
with a teacher that cannot be found
that is how I learned to swim in tears
and hold my breath uttering not a sound
yet even in my silence
I learned how to be truly heard
painting feelings across the page
filled with the written word
for my heart was always in a fish bowl
for all the world to see
you did not see it streaming down my face
for it flowed throughout my poetry.  




11 comments:

  1. I love this...I too am always bearing my soul through poetry...even the dark side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This world is a poetic ocean, deep with sorrow...." I so agree. And our poems are full of our tears. I so relate to this poem, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You so beautifully describe a writer's painting feeling across a page. We are the lucky ones who can pour out our discontent and sorrow into ink, and turn our page to new horizons and new ink (even with an old pen!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Carrie, we tell our stories in our poems ... no matter how obscure we believe they might be. One of your best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has nice advice, Carrie. Tells about the writer also (you??). I like the lines,
    "with a teacher that cannot be found
    that is how I learned to swim in tears
    This is a pretty tough situation buy we get by. I've had classes like that also, one in particular being taught by a student teacher. First day, he told us that he was a student also and so his classes didn't give him time for special help or consultation. We got by, I seldom went to the teacher's office anyway.
    Good Job, Carrie!!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too wear my tears in my words. I guess I am an emotional creature and poetry is my outlet. Always, be true to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "a whiskey bottle full of lies
    to spit out a glass half empty of true regret" - excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So smoothly do you come around by the end and back to the beginning, one senses the hopelessness of expecting the addressed one to see. How to answer if t'were me? My dear, I read your poetry. Sad. Mine is sad too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful writing, Carrie. The circling around from first stanza to last was perfect.

    ReplyDelete