Saturday, March 21, 2020

One Hundred


Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 100 


Time is the longest distance between two places. ~Tennessee Williams

When I was 10 years old
 time moved like an injured bird
seeming to slowly flail to the ground
I felt stuck right where I stood
 but I knew one day I too would fly
move on like 100 migrating birds
traveling fast and far to a better place
 then in my 20s I burned candles from both ends
trying to capture the moment like a roll of film
I entered every door that would let me in
racing around at 100 miles an hour
but getting nowhere I should be
now I am much older and we shall leave it at that
and time seems to move me faster than my feet can go
but it has taught me that now is where it is at
for I am content to linger right where I stand.

Note: With all that is going on in the world right now, I think we all have been feeling concerned and stressed.  Uncertainty can be a scary thing.  It is wonderful to be able to reach out to you all here in the way we always do.  No need to social distanced ourselves in blogland, and that is a blessing indeed!  Thank you, friends, for continually joining us at the Muse!  Your loyal participation and amazing poetry brightens my world every week!


19 comments:

  1. Oh, I so love this. I needed your words, especially the ending. I am so glad we don't have to do social distancing in blogworld. I need my poet friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Susie....my poet friends are amazing and that includes YOU! Thank you my friend!

      Delete
  2. That last line sums me up too. Loved the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anthony. I enjoyed yours as well. Glad you are here!

      Delete
  3. " now is where it is at" and here, as well. Thank you for your comments on these uncertain times. I wish I had written this poem! I had the 100 birds and the 100 miles per hour--but you have written it much better than I ever could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Susan but your poetry always amazes me so my opinion is you said it beautifully! Be safe my friend! 🙏

      Delete
  4. The movement in this is magic and the ending is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful and "now is where it is at" I am living in the now, even if it means staying inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are staying safe dear Truedessa! 🙏

      Delete
    2. It doesn't seem like spring with most of my usual societal signposts being out of order, but the natural world keeps telling me that it is, after all.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful, and hope inspiring. Especially the last two lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "move on like 100 migrating birds" -- great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first line is perfection and the ending is beautiful. Fir your 100th prompt, you certainly mixed the number 100 into the prompt and your poem in the most magical way. Thank you for your comments, encouragement, and kindness. Bless you and yours and stay safe! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so thankful for our online community. I relate to your poem. I enjoy lingering in the present very much now. I am grateful life has slowed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I relate to your poem ... the burning candles and all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Experience is a great teacher, isn't it? And I think one of the most valuable lessons it teaches us is to appreciate every moment, especially the one we are living.

    I, too, agree that we are lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderfully told, Carrie. I guess I learned early to make the best of what was dealt me, keep in mind I was making choices as to how many cards to take, when to change them, but never did I make a large fortune, $$$, from them.
    My life has been spent on jobs I liked, family I liked, well ??, places I could go, play according to my talents, ... what else.
    I have been very fortunate.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "move on like 100 migrating birds" - I love that!
      So glad this site is here. At least we can shelter
      and still write.

      Delete