Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Recovering Poet

 
 


 I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. I am. I am. I am. ~Sylvia Plath




A few years ago I watched the movie "Julia and Julia".  I became fascinated by the idea of having a voice out in the blogasphere.  Speaking my thoughts out loud and actually having someone listen.  It became another branch of a dream that I already had stirring in the winds of my heart and mind, and I knew that it was something that I would eventually do. 

It was not long after those thoughts that my world took a turn that I had never expected.  I was faced with the stress of an adult child with a severe drug addiction.  I cannot express how devastating it was for me, but somehow through out that period I took the time to create my blog and started plugging away at writing and making my voice heard.  Little by little I met other bloggers to follow that also followed me.  I came across a blog called Poets Who Blog. At the time I was unaware it was not an active site so I left my email and a link to my site.  Within a month of that time I was contacted by Robert Lloyd the founder of another wonderful and still very active site called "Poet's United".  Since then there has been no turning back. 

My life has changed in many ways since then.  I am now divorced, living in an apartment with my son.  It is hard sometimes, but I always have something new to write about, and that is a good thing.  I have found that I write more in adversity than I do in the complacency of easy times, but I do write either way.  All I can hope for now is that I will find inspiration and a true muse in the good times that I hope await.

11 comments:

  1. You have always inspired me~ I believe you will find hope, inspiration and good times~ I am sorry to hear about child-I hope life's edges treat you both with care~ ATB @>---------------

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, it takes a while. But it does come.
    In hope lies the true essence.
    Patience is the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This resonated with me as I also write for catharsis. My poetry blog is a way for me to stay calm and balanced. I love all your blogs, so beautiful. I love elephants and I love the sea as well. I would love to have that blue flooring in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wait, I will comment on the blue flooring on your other blog :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! "I write more in adversity than I do in the complacency of easy times." So do I.

    Blessings and Bear hugs in your changed and changing life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you many good times in the years ahead, Carrie. You have walked through the fire and emerged stronger, as we warrior mothers do, when we hold tight to tether our children to the earth. Rob Lloyd is how I began connecting with other poets too, for which I will be eternally grateful to him. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, Thanks for sharing your story with us.
    Wish you the very best. May you always do what you love & have lovely things to write about. :)
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Carrie, for supporting your son, during his darkest hours. Myself, I can only wish that my mom was there for me, when I "outed" myself, to her, in July 2006. Instead, she left me, to struggle with chronic depression, which has resulted, in several suicide attempts, since then.

    May you and your son, continue, to walk in the light, as you growth personally and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carrie. I think it's the first time I've been on your blog. It's lovely. I'm so impressed with all your quotes, so full of wisdom. I admire you. I've never been able to write about the most difficult time in my life. You're an inspiration. I'll be visiting you more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops. After looking closer I realize I HAVE read your poetry before. I just took more time to explore what you've written today. Still, it's nice to know you better.

    ReplyDelete