Saturday, January 2, 2021

The Tenderness & Might of Armor,

 

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 141
Happy New Year Everyone!

“The past is not a package one can lay away.”  ~ Emily Dickinson

 

I once wore my disappointments of the past like heavy armor prepared to battle all that the future could hold or take away.

Keeping every harsh word and silent goodbye like folded letters in envelopes I could never send.

I grew wide fields of wheat feeding an obese denial that no tractor’s blade could ever plow,

and my heart built colossal walls so magnificent that no man could ever climb nor could my own eyes see beyond.

You see memory is a relentless child that has heard news of the carnival and will never forget when it does not come to town,

and those disappointments seem to grow bigger with time like a child’s hopes or a woman’s hips,

but even harder to ever lose!

So in the lessons that life’s hurts and losses seem to bring,

I learned to carry grief tightly like an over protective mother afraid of running children and the oncoming cars.

Looking back now, I see I had spent all my strength fiercely holding a certain sorrow;

afraid of losing all I hold dear.

Holding the cold hard knowledge of what it is to truly lose.

For life becomes a bitter struggle when the fear of what we could lose outweighs

the abundant joy of holding what we truly have.

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Carrie. May the carnival come to your town this year. I loved your metaphors, and smiled profusely when I came to the "obese denial."
    Thank you for hosting.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness! This beautifully penned poem touched me deeply. The carnival metaphor ~ powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much hard-won wisdom, my friend. I so relate. Especially with fiercely holding a certain sorrow, and the fear of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So strong Carrie powerful really engaging in Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "... like heavy armor prepared to battle..." Your poem is filled with great metaphors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing--like an entire museum exhibit trailing behind someone, thoughts and fears in oil paints and old masters and gilt frames and then...all of that consigned to a building and the person free to wander outside. Just wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie- this hit me in my heart. Absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poem touched me, Carrie. Perhaps it's the catalyst for my revisit to the Muse posted today. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sparked something in me, Carrie. I feel fiercely about those last lines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good close Carrie, wise words befitting of a well thought out poem. It is often a balancing act to maintain from lots of choices open to us.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  12. "For life becomes a bitter struggle when the fear of what we could lose outweighs

    The abundant joy of holding what we truly have."

    We must keep those lines really close to our hearts. The alternative promises bucket-loads of not wonderful things. Thank you for the words.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete