Sunday, June 7, 2020

In Bondage to What I Cannot See

Painting by Surrealistic Artist Alexandra Dillon

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 111


Fear is the highest fence. ~Dudley Nichols


I have touched the truth with weak hands
In bondage to what I cannot see
Collecting pad locks for every door
Even though I have lost the keys
Fear is a lonely prison
Where windows cannot be found
The answers beyond that jail cell
Are muffled by my own shotgun’s round
and freedom is not a bully
It does not beat the front door down
Yet It sings out loud and mighty
To hearts that know the sound.
For I have touched the truth with weak hands
In bondage to what I cannot see
Standing behind a padlocked door
That can be opened by only me.

"The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience."
 ~Emily Dickinson


Note:
I have found that when I succumb to the fear of change and the unknown, two struggles I have always wrestled with, it has always crippled me.  It leaves me paralyzed, and afraid to move forward in any way, like being on a high bridge with no railing when you are scared to death of heights.   Every time I have made myself face it head on, and get out of my comfort zone, I have always been thankful for it later.  It is always an opportunity to grow and broaden my horizons.  Looking back now I know it is always worth the pain it takes to get through it.  This world needs change, and it won't be easy to face it head on, but it will be worth it!

16 comments:

  1. I loved the rhythm in this poem, Carrie, and resonate with the message. My heart is starting to hope again, with all of the marching. Here in Tofino, we are rallying tomorrow in protest of the shooting of one of our young First Nations women (in the east) by a policeman on Thursday. He was making a "wellness" check and wound up shooting her five times. No end to it. Yet there MUST be an end to it. When will we understand, we are all only people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. It does seem like there is no end to the madness but the marching is inspiring. We must hold on to hope. 💙

      Delete
  2. "For I have touched the truth with weak hands" -- very provocative and interesting phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Sherry I was struck by the rhythm in your poem. Read aloud, it is even more impactful and the words flow beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fear is, indeed, a terrible place to live in. I think that knowing this, knowing it and understanding that it is a natural thing, is the first step towards dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very right Magaly. So glad to see you here. I hope all is well with you my friend.

      Delete
    2. I am reminded of the words of Franklin Delano Roosesvelt … "We have nothing to fear but fear itself". It is so true that fear can imprison us. That young black men, native Americans, and all those who are "different" have to grow up in fear of the uniform of those who are meant to protect us all is anathema. May this last episode be the catalyst to change!

      Delete
    3. I agree completely Beverly. Great quote by RooseveltQ!

      Delete
  5. "freedom is not a bully/ it does not beat the front door down.." Really a cracking good line, and the meter and rhyme make this deceptively smooth, as the message is powerful and even harsh. Yes, we must conquer our fears of change, and face what has to be faced, but it's never easy, even tho this poem itself seems so effortless. Enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy. I value your opinion greatly. So glad you did the Muse this week. :-)

      Delete
  6. Yes, I too admire the rhythm and rhyme of this piece. Change isn't easy, but it is doable. The hardest place to break out of is oneself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Susie. Yes you are very right, breaking out of one's own thinking is the biggest of hurdles.

      Delete
  7. Fear of change can be crippling, but to not fight for it would be disaster.

    ReplyDelete