Monday, August 19, 2024

Coffee Table Heartaches

 

This week the words are from Stephen King's Full Dark, No Stars.
Thank you Shay for all you do to keep us writing!
Come join us!

Like magazines, I set them all in rows;

the nights

the weeks

the years

with every possible heartache laid on top.

Remembering each sorrow as if it were a pretty wedding.

Every harsh word is close like lips and lovers.

I can drink them like lemonade and hold them like polaroid photos, fast and sure.

The day I lost you stands tall like an oak,

for love and loss are kindred cousins I know too well.

So, I must keep them both close (at least that is what my heart once told me)

for it is far easier to hold on to the pain that let love be faded by time.

You see, I forget the colorful Care Bear’s names,

but cling to the dark and lonely crow,

gingerly holding with no plans to set him free.

It is funny how that somehow soothes the wounded ache

even though it is the very thing that broke me.


7 comments:

  1. I feel every line, Carrie, the memories, the loss, the heartache. I love "The day I lost you stands tall like an oak" and, especially your two closing lines that go straight to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a wonderful sense of reflection in this poem - the dark and the light...I hope the crow will fly away and the Care Bear's names float back - A comforting memory to soften the loss - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Carrie. You went deep and were spot on with this week's theme. it really is hard to let go of the pain sometimes, and your poem expresses this marvelously. That last line is gutting. I am super impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting and certainly thought provoking. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This stabs at the heart, Carrie. So well written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem is beautiful, painful, and so real. Loss is heavy, yet it is memories that brings light, and in such an odd way strength to live through the darkest days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, so good. Glad to see you back here!

    ReplyDelete