Saturday, September 17, 2022

The Drummer,

 


Theda Bara in Cleopatra 1917


“Iron left in the rain
      And fog and dew
With rust is covered.—Pain
      Rusts in beauty, too.
I know full well that this is so:
— I had a heartbreak long ago.”
~Mary Carolyn Davies

 

 I don’t need an axe!

I can grind words

with the romantic stare

of all my lost lovers.

I have lived intensely in the wasteland of charm and pretty lies.

A Rockstar of heartbreak with all the stages of grief.

I have known the scary feel of veering into oncoming traffic,

and crashing into hardcore hearts.

All the anesthesia in the world cannot stop that feeling,

and metaphors can only reveal a ghost of what was.

Writing poems now is my solace and my story.

They sing the song I will never sing again,

and make love to the drummer that first broke my heart.


Linking with Shay's Word Garden Word List ~ Featuring the come back of Creem Magazine

& the Sunday Muse for Muse #228

Visit both prompts and join in the fun!

13 comments:

  1. Your poem and the image of Theda Bara's expression are a perfect match. She's a queen who's been there, done that, and got the tee shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I resonate with your poem. It says it all to perfection and I especially love those two closing lines. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is rich wonderful Carrie. Love the ending couplet my friend! ✌🏼❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, you triggered the memory of the first lover who broke my heart her "old" boyfriend came home from the wars, a civilian, and she ditched me. In the end, that was ok. I never saw her again, a buddy told me why she left.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah what a wonderful solace.
    Happy Sunday.

    much 💛love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! That risk and shatter is magnetic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie,
    Poems rising from the ashes of a life "lived intensely in the wasteland of charm and pretty lies" like songs is an amazingly rich metaphor. And metaphors as "ghosts": never the body they are meant to embody.
    ~Dora

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a way to use those WORDS and that IMAGE! Cheers to "I don’t need an axe! I can grind words" ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. All that glitters .... you captured the image so perfectly Carrie. Love the ending, the solace to be found in poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful character study, Carrie. Most haunting line for me: "metaphors can only reveal a ghost of what was"

    ReplyDelete
  11. A perfect accompaniment to the picture, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this with us, Carrie! What a story! I love it <3 These lines especially:

    "I have known the scary feel of veering into oncoming traffic,

    and crashing into hardcore hearts.

    All the anaesthesia in the world cannot stop that feeling"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this, Carrie! Too many clever lines to name. You had me right at the opening.

    ReplyDelete