Saturday, September 18, 2021

His Dark Eyes,

 

Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse #178
where Shay my amazing friend & poet is hosting!
Come join us!

Perhaps you did not know how bright last night...
Those stars were lit with longing of my own...
~John Robinson Jeffers


It is in the shoulders where his strength lied

Where burdens were kept like coats in a closet

Heavy with forests we could never save

I lost my way there

Searching deeper inward by the night stars

 and his dark eyes

There I leaned on limbs that were ready to break

Sometimes light burns the view beyond recognition

And the darkest of nights is a kiss as soft as a vapor of smoke

Lingering right here

Warm and close

 then gone

Just like that

Only embers are left now

Yet they still can burn

Like stars at night always do.


14 comments:

  1. Lovely memories of a dark-eyed lost love. So sorry it's only embers now. Beautiful write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, this reminds me of my paternal grandfather. Grandpa chewed tobacco, he also loved to give us grandchildren a tobacco juice kiss on the cheek. He would soak, it seemed, his beard with the juice and then paint us good as the kiss came. I spent a lot of time with him, he stayed until after I left home. I am more like he was than any of his other eight grandkids.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorious, especially "where burdens were kept like coats in a closet, / heavy with forests we could never save." Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'And the darkest of nights is a kiss as soft as a vapor of smoke' - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Carrie! And with such a strong opening and ending!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous and overwhelming in its imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some lovely lines here. I was touched by the mood your words created in this poem. I could truly feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every line stands alone, and together they build an achingly sad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Where burdens were kept like coats in a closet

    Heavy with forests we could never save

    I lost my way there"

    My favourite lines. Happy Sunday Carrie. Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Where burdens were kept like coats in a closet" - so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you described his shoulders and limbs about to break ... great poem, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too like the the line about the coats in the closet. Some really great lines here Carrie. The embers are the memories of what once sparked a roaring flame.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful love poem, Carrie. Dark stars sometimes burn the brightest., and they have a softness to their light that lingers like your last lines, warm and rich.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "And the darkest of nights is a kiss as soft as a vapor of smoke"

    Love this line. Outstanding poem, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete