Saturday, July 3, 2021

What Holds Freedom? Two Poems from Different Places




 Caged Canary,

 

You are beautiful

Like the glimmer of starlight

Even in your loss

You search for prairie flowers

In the middle of the wild seas

Your hair a mess

Tangled in the rocky sands of misery

with blue eyes wandering beyond the horizon that we know

Making my heart ponder what is free and what is truly broken

Now you are anchored in a heartache

continents from where you were meant to be

unyielding to the sting

of every memory

you hold on tight

unable to let go

as caged as a canary

that knows all he can surely know.

**************************************************************

 What the Sky Holds,


I don’t want to be the boat

I long to be the sea

Touching land from end to end

A reach as vast as grains of sand

I don’t want to be the anchor

I long to be the sail

Riding winds like wings true journey

Above the dangers of dry land

I don’t want to be the bird

I long to be the sky

Touching the heavens and reaching stars

An endless bounty of openness

I don’t want to be the child

I long to be the mother

Witnessing future's gleaming smile

Holding eternity within my arms 

freedom's truest embrace.


Come join us over at the Sunday Muse for Muse #167.  We would love to see you there!



27 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm with you, I want to be the mother, not the child. Goddess knows how I turned out to be a good one--not by example, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we learn from bad example what not to be. I am certain that made you be all you wish you had known. Your loss was your son's blessing. 💙

      Delete
    2. And Zacky's! Thanks, friend. You are too kind.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy your expansive view as it encompasses all. I read somewhere, "If you can dream it, you can do it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it Lisa. Thank you for stopping by. 🌻

      Delete
  3. The two contrasts carried me from claustrophobic to blown wide open. Wow! Well written Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many visuals in this one. Both the segments pour out many images. This line is a gospel truth "Making my heart ponder what is free and what is truly broken" An amazing poem, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you construct such paradoxical beauty and optimism in the first part -"Making my heart ponder what is free and what is truly broken" and the second one has the poet yanking at the anchor for something vast as water, wind and sky - and a mother's love

    ReplyDelete
  6. " I long to be the sail" is surely the cry of this beached vessel - as well as every aspiring poet under the sun! :-) Two enjoyable offering take wing here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luv both poem responses. The first one i kind of like better. Luv this phrase
    "anchored in a heartache"

    Happy Sunday

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillena and happy Sunday to you as well!

      Delete
  8. These lifted me on a flood tide of wonder. Heartbreaking and then restorative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful, Carrie...........I love that longing to be the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two poems, beautifully crafted ... a wonderful gift on this day of celebration ~~ Our Independence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Helen for your sweet appreciation! Happy 4th to you and yours. 🎉

      Delete
  11. "anchored in a heartache" - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These were nice, Carrie. I wouldn't want to be in that boat either. A more zippy one would make it better.
    Thanks for hosting, you do good.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. the first carries ineffable sadness, while the second soars with imagination ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mother, I say, not daughter. "Now you are anchored in a heartache".
    Wonderful visions, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I favor the first one, especially this:

    “Even in your loss

    You search for prairie flowers”

    ReplyDelete