Sunday, April 11, 2021

All the Poppies in California


Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 155 Thank you Shay for holding the fort down when it was my turn to do it.  You are amazing my friend! 


I lost a beautiful and precious flower long before I had the strength for letting go

so I became a hoarder of the sky

my eyes glued to the moon like sequins on a red dress

stars in my eyes I walked through all the fields of poppies only longing for blue birds out of my reach

I had an empty vase that all the poppies in California could not fill

certain regrets   burrow and  dig    and take away

leaving a soul always searching for more beyond the horizon

stuck between the couch and the wall like a paper airplane

thrown careless and hard

life gives and it takes away

and we either learn through falling

or we remain stuck

eventually I learned to get back up

to reach out my hands

not just for help

but also to let go

that is how birds learn to soar.



12 comments:

  1. "so I became a hoarder of the sky" Oooh! Oooh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honest and vulnerable, with true wisdom in the final lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The heartache in this is quite a weight to carry. Learning to let go is one of the hardest things to do. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a most glorious poem, the phrasing and message it imparts deep and revealing ... spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having just lost a fear friend of over 40 years this past week, this poem touched my heart. It is the letting go that's difficult indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is both beautiful and sad for me. I see the writer as one whose father had departed, either by death or walked away, before the writer was born. Because of the tenderness that oozes out then I see a woman, fairly young still as the teller of her rough but over coming life's beginning.
    And if I misread, it would be beautiful still in a different setting.
    Note: I love to write in first person but sooo often I discover that several readers put me in the role of the writer. I do have a "Fiction" label but often I don't use that.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! It expresses so many emotions for me. Highs, lows, and letting go. Life can really elate or deflate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. And the idea of letting go to soar--just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To love and let go, is the best advice anyone may receive...
    Soar on. Blogpal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "eyes glued to the sky like..."
    Luv that image

    Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete