Saturday, February 29, 2020

Touched by Liberace


Linking with the Sunday Muse for Muse # 97
Come join us!

“Sometimes you have to get to know someone really well to realize you're really strangers.”
~Mary Tyler Moore

True love always moves me to tears
The kind that flow like piano keys
Touched by Liberace
Yet there are things that cannot be touched
Only loved from afar
And ghosts that cannot be seen
But they are there just the same
Secrets as real as the luxury of pearls
But a rare few will get to hold them
Bare as the back in an elegant gown
A am witness to the deepest of concertos
For I never learned to play by ear
But I learned to listen well
To all the missing chords in verse
and every song unsung
you played me for a fool
but the solo is yours alone
I carry the tune with me
But I have learned to moved on
For true love always moves me to tears
And you were no Liberace!

15 comments:

  1. Great bittersweet words towards the end. And loved the way you wrote of things not there. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the course of true love never seems to run smoothly … especially for faux Liberaces!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love is not always the symphony we deserve....i love that you learned to listen well. Me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liberace makes piano playing look easy, but it's quite difficult. Listening and hearing are also difficult. One can listen to and enjoy the music, but those that can hear the missed notes, sense when something is out of tune, there is a deeper perception there not only of music but of discerning when something or someone doesn't ring true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Liberace reference. The story interprets the photo really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you give the poem an undertone of excess (Liberace/luxury) and then link it to the foolishness of the not-quite-beloved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a lot of music by people not considered very hip, and Liberace is one of those. I also like Andy Williams, the Tijuana Brass, Petula Clark, etc. But I also like AC/DC. I'm weird, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You brought back memories, wonderful memories, of my grandparents glued to their tv for the Liberace show. I snuck a few peeks myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Carrie, this runs so true with me even though in the first neither of us played piano. Our song was for a long time until her real player came home from the wars to stay.
    For the second the music became worn and torn and she went elsewhere (for one of her students, like a boy toy player).
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. ". . . But I learned to listen well
    To all the missing chords in verse
    and every song unsung . . . "
    And compare that to Liberace! Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And sometimes learning to listen well
    is enough. Well said, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love has a way of bringing tears.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quote - the poem has a very nice voice and I like "learned to listen well" and the "!" of an ending.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dressed to kill but not to last. The listener will get to hold her pearls someday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful piece, fits the photo.

    ReplyDelete