Monday, December 31, 2018

What the Future Holds

Image Source

Linking with The Sunday Muse for Muse # 36
come join us!

It is said that the present is pregnant with the future.  ~Voltaire


I have been lost on this journey more times than I could count
Wandering aimlessly hoping certainty will be found
I hope it is up ahead, just passed the next closest ridge
But I cautiously stay where I am trying to see it from this bridge
What is ahead?  I ask myself again and again
Hoping for no heartache wanting time to be my friend
But life provides no assurance that loss will not come my way
And certainty is a mirage that never truly shows its face
Now another year is over, and another will come to call
And I look into the future like a gypsy and a crystal ball
Maybe I need a compass to direct me to northern skies
And remind me it is now that should fill my wandering eyes
For yesterday is gone, and tomorrow is beyond my grasp

So may I learn to focus on the now, and abundantly live the life I have.

©Carrie Van Horn 2019

4 comments:

  1. Lovely poem, Carrie with a wonderful message. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfectly matched to the art. It moves us ahead. Also, I love the quote you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life makes only one promise, and most of us want it to stay away for as long as possible. May we all find our compass, the right lights... and the focus to live in the present while brewing the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem, Carrie.
    Might have a crack at this one too.

    ReplyDelete